Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fall wreath

I really needed some therapy ... I mean craft time.  So I finally made some time for crafts yesterday.  At the beginning of the school year, I bought a package of fall-colored card stock at Michael's (for about $3) with the intention of making this wreath.  So Friday night I started making flowers (like we did for Chelsea's wedding). 

First cut a circle (it doesn't have to be perfect). Then cut a spiral within the circle, again, perfection is not required.  Then start wrapping the paper into a cone from the OUTSIDE working toward the center - this seems odd, but the center will be the base you glue your flower to.  I usually unwind the flower some, add a lot of hot glue, press your flower down, burn your fingers, remind yourself that hot glue is hot. 

   

Admire you work, repeat, repeat, repeat.


Then Saturday, Xman and I ventured out to Michael's again.  This time I needed more hot glue (project took 10-15 glue sticks total - best guess), and something to glue my flowers to ... what I ended up with was more than $50 worth of other projects ... I need supervision.

So I found these wood bases.  I purchased two of this size and one larger one for a snowflake wreath (I will post that one right after Thanksgiving -- I like to let turkeys have their day.)  First hold it up by your face ... then act like it is a hula hoop for your neck ...



 

I glued the biggest flowers on first,  trying to create a random effect. 


Then I glued on the next flowers, then smaller, then smaller, then I had to make some ultra tiny flowers to fill in a couple of spaces.



I am very happy with this project.  I have enough paper to make probably 10 more wreaths this size. I like making all the flowers first and then gluing them on and just filling in as needed.  I will be making another one for my classroom ... but I should probably do my lesson plans and notes first, and maybe clean house.  When I hang this up I will add an update.

No comments: