Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cranberry Salsa

I am not a fan of cranberry sauce ... not that I have actually tried it. I just can't get over that it stays in the shape of the can. But I saw this recipe in a magazine (Southern Living or Cooking Light) and the picture with the recipe was a left over turkey sandwich with this salsa on it. It looked so good that I took a chance on it. And it was a big hit.

The next year I took it to a potluck at work, and got called to the office and told that I couldn't leave for the day until I shared the recipe. Then the school secretary started requesting it for her birthday and Thanksgiving every year.

Most people at work were eating it with chips, I like it on turkey (or a turkey sandwich). It is sweet, even though there are two jalapeños the salsa is not really spicy.

The first year I made this, I didn't have a food processor. So I took my time and diced everything up really small ... and that is the year I found out that I am allergic to jalapeño juice (on my skin). I had to eat dinner holding a glass of water, then went home and looked on WebMD and soaked my hand in oil for an hour and then called poison control. That resulted in the hubby making a trip to the store for milk of magnesia to soak in next, but I fell asleep(with my hand in the oil) while he was gone. That Christmas I got a food processor!

3 c cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 c honey
1/2 c cilantro
1/2 med red onion
2 jalapeños (seeds and ribs removed)
2 T lime juice
1 T orange zest

Pulse onion and jalapeño in food processor and pulse in food processor until fine.

Add remaining ingredients into food processor with onion and jalapeño and pulse until well combined. Refrigerate.

Best 2-4 days after making!

No comments: