Friday, April 13, 2012

GGT- Day 2

Day 2, we got up and packed thecar and checked out the new Arkansas Travelers Stadium ... through the fence. The after talking to Robert's sister, we decided to climb Pinnacle Mountain then head to see his sister.

Yes, I said climb a mountain ... yes, with a two-year old ... where was your advice before we did this? Robert had climbed this in high school, and did not think it would be too bad. The map showed it was a 1.2 mile hike up the mountain. That did not sound really far to me, and in the beginning the path was dirt, with a few rocks and roots and relatively flat.

The path changed to a steep gravel road, the a rock staircase, then rocks. We saw a snake, a great view of the river, had several discussions of how far we should go. At one point I could see to top, and Robert said it would bea shame not to get pictures, so I told him to stay with the boy and I would go take pictures. He asked if I could make it. My response, "if I am not carrying Xman? Definitely." so up the three of us went. Did I bring up my concerns about having to go back down? Definitely!

What did we see at the top. A great view of a field and a road ...and a baby crying at the top because he needed a nap, a drink, a diaper change, and goldfish! Can you believe that poor d's parents? Oh wait, that was my kid. Poor Xman!

So my legs were already so fatigued from climbing up that I kept thinking they were going to stop working all together. By this point, what had started out as a very cool morning,has become a very warm, sunny day. I stopped to cry 3 times, and Xman fell 2 times before we got back to the car. Oh, and Xman did fall asleep on the last part of the walk. But we climbed a mountain.

We went to Robert's sister's house and met our niece. Our Niece and Xman played for a while, then it was back in the car to forage for food. That did go as planned. We were all cranky and hungry and passed up food, then got stuck in traffic behind a wreck, finally grabbed some fast food and headed to our next GGT stop.

We went to Robert's Grandma's and visited with he and his uncle & his uncle's family that live with Grandma. Finally we head to get food and to the hotel for a much needed shower and rest. Did I mention we didn't think of sunscreen either?

No comments: