Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Unexpected joy

I had a student who ended up pregnant late in her senior year if high school. I heard rumors and dismissed them, but kept hearing them, do I finally asked at the beginning of her first semester of college. She said yes, she was pregnant but didn't want to tell me because she was afraid I was be disappointed in her. As someone who struggled with infertility and knows the risk of waiting to long to start a family,, I offered her encouragement. I told her I would rather her have this unexpected joy than to ever know the disappointment of the possibility young not be able to have kids.

(I may have shared that part earlier, but what is next is new.)

So the same girl's best friend came to see me and when I mentioned the pregnant girl this student said "we haven't talked since the summer, the whole thing is disappointing.". I didn't push the subject, but it sounds like they are not linger friends because her friend is having a baby. I am so disappointed for the pregnant girl - it sucks having crappy friends. But I am looking forward to seeing that unexpected joy!

1 comment:

Lady X said...

nice.
happy thoughts.

and sucky friends do suck.